11.7.11

My Journal to Roskilde Festival 2011

Hey, finally, I have to post something to remind myself and recall memories from this such enormous festival, Roskilde 2011. Four days and nights there, is such a great gigantic wonderful moment, things happened. Four days that changed my life forever, it sounds mushy -- I know, but so true. The mixture of various feelings. Priceless experience.



//////////////////// First Day; June 30

Mostly alone and everything is so brand new. I watch Tame Impala, Foals and PJ Harvey. They're all so fucking great, especially PJ Harvey!!! After I finish PJ Harvey's gig at 23.00 I try to find my way back home. (Oh, my home is like around the corner, that's my luck to take only 15 minutes walk instead of 8 days in the tent.) As a tiny asian woman wander around all by myself, I take the motto of 'Always flow with the crowd.' But it proves that I took the wrong motto! Because I flow with the crowd, then ended up to the wrong exit! I try to ask every staffs there like "Do you know this street?" Two hours later with the fucking pain on my legs and feet, I pop up to another side of the town!, WTF? It's getting darker and solitary, then I found this harmless looking guy, so I ask the direction for the road I'm living. He said it's another side of the town and it's too far to walk, and if I don't mind he can give me a ride cause he has to use that way to Copenhagen anyway. Because of all the tiredness and desperately lost, I said yes. So, this nice and completely stranger who works in the Orange Stage for his thesis took me home, safely!



Tame Impala 



Foals 

//////////////////// Second Day; July 1
First arrive at 16.00 to get ready to The Raveonettes's gig. Sit on the grass, which is still dry and clean in front of the Orange Stage. I got 3 Beers from home so I can get sober just on time, all I need while waiting is my iPod and some ciggs. The Raveonettes!! You've never let me down, the opening song is Recharge & Revolt!!!! Look in the schedule for another band I need to watch, which suppose to be How To Dress Well. But the thing is, I can't fucking find the Gloria stage!!! I walk here and there and look on the map but still can't find it. Until this guy come to me and ask something in Danish -- then ended up with something calls friendship. I go to Portishead with these guys, along with the friendly atmosphere. I got another 3 Beers and Red Wine, then White Wine, then some shots, then 1 inhale of joint. What else can I say? -- the mood right that moment is so perfect for Portishead gig!! After drunk and all, we still have more energy to dance together at M.I.A.'s. It's 1.00 and dark and rain, but we have so much fun!! I left the concerts around 4.00 in the morning.







The Raveonettes 



Portishead 

//////////////////// Third Day; July 2
Last night I was so drunk then I decided to sleepover at my friend's camp. Wake up at noon and go out for The Tallest Man on Earth. After all that long and exhausted night, I carry hungover condition home. Take a bath and go back again at 7.00pm, never forget 2 glasses of Beer before leaving. Suppose to meet all my new friends but I went there 15 minutes late, so alone again, naturally. hahaha It's quiet a bit lonely but calm and fine, though. The weather sucks, it's raining heavily. The muds and cold breeze just everywhere. After hiding and squeezing myself in a roof, I have a short conversation with another Danish people. It was nice. Then 19.30 the time for the most looking-forward-gig, Arctic Monkeys! (Because I choose Arctic Monkeys, I have to left James Blake behind, it's almost the same time -- so, no gain with no pain.) Arctic Monkeys, in my opinion, is just nice but not that nice as I expected. After this, I walk around with the mud all over my beloved Converse just to occupied my time for The Strokes. 22.30, here they comes, The Strokes!! The rain's still falling down, as well as the alertness and amusement of people. They rock the stage, they're fucking rule the world. I love the way Julian entertains the crowd. Still got some energies left, so I went to Arena stage for my beloved Lykke Li. This is the one and only gig that I went in the waiting line to become one of those people in the front row. And there's no disappointment -- it's a fucking worth thing to do and it's one of a few right decision in my life. Lykke Li is Goddess, she rules the world, even more than The Strokes! There's no word that has the ability enough to explain my feeling inside.



Arctic Monkeys 



The Strokes 

 

Lykke Li!! 

//////////////////// Fourth Day; July 3
The LAST day of the festival! I should probably be there at 12.00 for I was a King, but with a huge amount of exhaustion, I decided to sleep longer. First arrive at 16.00 with the high rate of intension to watch The Walkmen. After all those sucks weather, this is the only sunny day of the festival. So it's time to dress well, I wear black short skirt with my ex's Sonic Youth tee, put a jacket on and rain boots, (because my Converse turned to be Muddyverse), then sitting at the Odeon stage. Just a minute before they start, this guy come to me and asked; Do you like this band? I don't like them, I LOVE them!; I replied. Then we have a short conversation and he said; Can you see anything from here? I told him that I can't see shit anyway, it happens in all of the concerts, I get used to it, I can just wallow the moment and the sound. So he said; If they're your favorite, you should go further to the front so you can watch them closely. Then, this 30 or something completely stranger offers his hand and lead me to the front!!! The Walkmen, probably be the first gig that I can watch this close! By the way, it comes a little disappointment. I mean, they're great, it's nice, but maybe it's my fault that I expected too much. When it ended, me and the benefactor -- whose later known as Yannick, grab some beers and be accompany. I have a nice talk with Yannick, about life and Danish people and Denmark, and stuffs. He's Canadian who also 'on pot' and has the skill of comforting people and throw away dead-air. We go to Gloria stage that I can't fucking find the past day, and enjoy our fake stoned moments with Gold Panda. At 20.00 he have to go back to Copenhagen and need my advice for Thai meal to go,  so I recommended Kang Ped Pak (แกงเผ็ดผัก) Then we parted, and I have to wait until Kings of Leon concert at 22.00 So, back to the basic -- all by myself again, decide to occupied my time at The Poetry Hall. This place is goddamn cool, it's dark and no shitloads of people, with small pools all over the place and books everywhere. You can go there and hiding yourself from the usual bored - to - death - crowd. I try to find a book to read, but they're all in Danish, so I just sit, light my cigg, and turn on my iPod. Then, accidentally saw this long red curly hair girl with the Boho dress. It's one of my new friend I've met the other day, I run to them, it was such a surprise encounter. Then I have accompanyist again! Enjoy a few minutes at Battles and go to the Memorial Stone to meet another guys. Then the last gig, Kings of Leon. After uncountable glasses of Beer and Cider, it was so fucking fun, amused, but fade in the memories as well. It's like the collapsed picture and all come in bits and pieces. I having so much fun, many good times, too much alcohol, that I can't even take some pictures to remember Kings of Leon in frame. But, I do capture all in my heart.

I remember the coolest moment that blows me away,

I remember the part of 'Use Somebody' song,

I remember the crowd shouting 'You, your sex is on fire.' -- extremely loud.

I remember the way I dance with my friend.

I remember my pee pal (hahaha, yes, that's right -- pee pal!!)

I remember my happiness.

and all of these long exhausted four days just make me full -- of joy.

 

The Walkmen 



Acknowledgement:


Kent for the ticket, Anja for the understanding
Jens for trying to caught my attention
Yannick for leading me to the front and all those conversations
The unknown orange stage thesis guy that took me home
Jakob, another Jakob, Marie, Aline, August, Jeffrey, Adam, Christine, you guys are so nice to me!

(:

Thanks Roskilde Festival for the moment I'll remember for life.

Extras: List of Nara's experiences from the Festival

- I peed in all kind of toilets, the gross one, the fucking smelly one, the long line one but except the one with the pipe to make us female pee like a male.
- Wear your rain boots next time.
- Don't expected things, it comes by its own way.
- Try to make a fool decision and walk out your comfort zone because out of that zone -- is the way your real life begin.
- Say yes more and more. Okay, I know we have some limits for yes, but in the festival time -- it's the exception.
- Save water, drink beer.
- Examine the exits and all stages so you won't missed any gigs or got home with stupid excuses for the pain in your legs.
- Don't mind the drunkards and stoners, they really just want to have fun.
- The idea of 'Take a Good Care of Each Other' is so fucking cool.
- Go back again, don't missed the chance, if really can't -- then find the way!!!!!!
- Skip the 'Can't See Shit' moment, and reach for whatever you can get, fuck the vision, don't only watch it but feel it!
- Left all worries of outside cruel reality world behind and fucking enjoy this goddamn festival.
- Prepare yourself because you'll surely smell the unique scents of pee and poo and have to walk through all muddy yucky ground -- it's gross and unpleasant, right? But if asking; Will I go back there again? my answer will be "Motherfucking YES, Skål!!!!"


No comments:

Post a Comment